Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekly Rant: Wind Energy in CP

I apologize if I come of as negative in this rant, but the wind on campus here at University of Maryland is ridiculous. The architects of the University somehow managed to create the campus in such a way that the campus is a giant wind tunnel. I walk 10 minutes to class everyday. If I were to carry an open umbrella, I feel I would sail away in a Mary Poppins fashion.
Technology has evolved. We have plastics that are extremely strong and yet are lighter than previous structural materials. How with the innovation of plastics has the transition to wind on SMALL scales been made. Average wind speed drops below 8 mph for only 1 month: August. That is average, and I do feel that there are many areas where the gusts are much stronger on a consistent basis. It's hard to imagine that the cost of the wind turbine would break the University's bank. . . A couple would probably amount to the cost of 3 of the 25000 students tuition.
Even if the wind turbines costs a bit of money, have them power the washing machines in the dorms; the students will definitely appreciate the gesture.

No comments:

Post a Comment